This vibrantly yellow soup contrasts well with the green chive and parsley garnish – hard to believe the colours are totally natural. Equally good made with fresh, frozen or tinned kernels. Definitely a popular soup to have in your repertoire!
Creamed Sweetcorn Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 fresh sweetcorn, kernels stripped off with sharp knife or
- 1 large tin natural sweetcorn kernels or
- 250g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp grated fresh or frozen ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp thyme
- 200ml double cream
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped chives and parsley to serve
- In a large pan melt the butter and add the chopped onion and potato. Sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, thyme, bayleaf, paprika and corn kernels, stirring well. Put the lid on the pan and allow to 'sweat' gently, making sure it doesn't catch on th bottom.
- Add the stock and gently simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the cream and continue to cook for a further 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a stick blender or a liquidiser. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Sieve the soup to remove the husky kernels and to give a velvety smooth texture.
- Gently reheat, ensuring not to boil, and garnish with the chives and parsley.
Recently whilst sorting out my groaning cookbook shelves I came across a tatty folder full of recipes from what now seems like 'another life' - when my brother Duncan and ...Read more about this chef..