Spicy Chickpea Cakes with Pickled Carrot
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- 225g chickpeas soaked overnight
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1bsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground Tumeric
- 2 tbsp Oil to fry onion
- 1 egg yolk
- Put half of the chickpeas in cold water, and bring to boil. Boil until tender, about 35mins
- Drain the remaining chickpeas and (still raw) put in food processor and pulverise until fine
- Heat the oil and add the spices for a few minutes before adding the onion and garlic. When softened add the red pepper
- when lightly cooked, add the cooked chickpeas and stir around to absorb all the spices.
- Using a potato masher or fork break up the chickpea mixture until it sticks together but still has texture. Stir in the ground chickpeas and egg yolk
- Add the lemon zest and adjust the seasoning to taste
- Wet your hands and form into small patties. Roll in flour (or chickpea flour) and put in fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes
- Heat up groundnut oil and fry the patties until golden brown, turning only once. *Tip .If mixture is too loose or falls apart add fresh breadcrumbs or flour to stiffen up.
Recently whilst sorting out my groaning cookbook shelves I came across a tatty folder full of recipes from what now seems like 'another life' - when my brother Duncan and ...Read more about this chef..